Car Hire Hebrides Ltd Terms & Conditions
Normal terms and conditions of rental apply at all times. The rental agreement is a contract with the vehicle provider (Car Hire Hebrides Ltd) and you as named on the rental agreement. By signing the rental agreement you accept the terms of the rental agreement, agree with the vehicle condition and accept the trading conditions of Car Hire Hebrides Ltd.
It is important that the customer reads and understands these terms before signing the Rental Agreement.
When the rental starts the vehicle will be roadworthy and fit for normal use. If it is not, or if it becomes un-roadworthy or unfit for normal use during the rental you must inform the rental station from which you rented the vehicle or telephone the emergency number shown on the rental document wallet. You will be given this at the start of your rental.
Hire Agreements are made on the understanding that the vehicle will be placed at your disposal on the date agreed. Should this not be possible, through circumstances beyond our control, we will provide a substitute vehicle, where possible, or a refund of monies. CHH cannot be held liable in any way for failing to provide a vehicle at specific times.
Our hire vehicles are covered for use throughout Europe however we do request that you inform us if you are planning on taking your hire car out with the United Kingdom.
Extensions to the agreed rental period are at the discretion of the Hire Company. Only with prior agreement can an extension be approved. It is essential that we are informed of any required extension before the end of the original hire period to ensure continual insurance cover.
Full payment of the Hire will be taken at time of Hire. Vehicle condition will be agreed prior to and at completion of hire by both parties.
Our vehicles are normally supplied with a full tank of fuel either at the start of rental. In the event that we have agreed to deliver the vehicle, the vehicle will arrive at its delivery destination less the fuel used for the delivery. This vehicle still has to be returned full of fuel. Where we have agreed to collect a vehicle, any fuel used between the collection address and our nearest rental station is chargeable.
Please note If a vehicle is returned with less than a full tank of fuel, we will refill it, charge you for the fuel and for the refuelling service at £15. Refuelling rates are subject to change without notice.
- You must pay us the rental charge Inclusive of any insurance provided by us and all other charges including refuelling shown on the Rental Agreement. Plus any Value Added Tax. We reserve the right to take payment in advance of the hire if deemed necessary. If you do not pay us money you owe us on time we will charge you interest until you do. We will charge interest at 4% per annum above Bank Of Scotland Bank base rate. You will also have to pay the losses and costs we run up whilst we are preparing, carrying out or trying to enforce these terms.
- A Young Driver Surcharge of £20 per day may apply to any person over the age of 21 but under the age of 25 who is approved by us in writing to drive the vehicle. Damage excess increases by an additional £400 for all drivers under 25 years old.
- You acknowledge that the relevant mileage is the mileage recorded from the time the Vehicle leaves the Vehicle branch until its return. If the Vehicle is rented by the Customer for a continuous period of not exceeding 28 days it is CHH policy to allow unlimited mileage within the agreed rental charge.
- Hires of commercial vehicles have a mileage allowance of up to 500 miles per 7 day rental period, and anything in excess of that will incur a 10p + VAT per mile charge. All hires should not exceed 90 days in total unless the vehicle paperwork is reopened by CHH.
- When you book your vehicle rental you are entering into a legally binding contract.
- CHH Vehicle Rental levy a charge for cancellation of any booking you are unable to honour 24 hours prior to your collection time. That levy will be no greater and no less than one full days hire at the vehicle rate.
- No refunds will be given for rentals ended early, late collections, no shows or cancellations made after the rental start date.
- All cancellations must be made in writing.
Vehicle Care and Standards
- All our rental vehicles are strictly NON SMOKING in line with UK legislation. Any evidence of smoking in vehicles will incur a £100 fine.
- Vehicles must be returned in a reasonably clean condition, with no more than floor mats dirty and free from excessive sand, litter and upholstery stains. Failure to return the vehicle in this condition will incur a £40.00 service charge to valet the vehicle.
- Strictly no pets, again any evidence will incur a £40.00 service charge.
- Child seats must be kept clean and damage free, failure to do so will incur a £15.00 service charge.
Damage & Charges
In the event of damage to a hire vehicle, CHH Ltd reserves the right to immediately charge the customers debit/credit card reserving a fee for the damage. In the event of an accident or damage to a vehicle, CHH Ltd are not obligated to provide a replacement vehicle to the hirer. The damage in the first instance will be evaluated and priced using the industry standard Pricing Matrix. The parameters for the most common damages, and the appropriate repair methods and charges, are set out below.
When will a damage charge be applied
Cost (Excluding VAT)
|Scratches which penetrate the top coat of paint and will not polish out
||Paint a Panel
|Dents on swage lines, folded edges and areas with insufficient access to cold dent repair.
||Paint a panel with repair
|Dents on panels 25mm or greater in diameter. Dents that have caused the paint to crack or flake.
||Paint a panel with repair
When will a damage charge be applied?
Cost (Excluding VAT)
|Any chips to glass
|Cracks or chips to glass that cannot be repaired
Wheels & Tyres
When will a damage charge be applied?
Cost (Excluding VAT)
|Any scuffs/scratches to alloy wheels or wheel trims
|Any damage to alloy wheels or wheel trims that cannot be repaired
|Bulges or cuts to tyres
This list contains the parameters for the most common damage, but is not an exhaustive list. It is only a guide and charges may vary with each individual case.
If the damage pricing matrix is unable to correctly identify the correct costs of repair CHH Ltd will get a full quotation for the repair, however CHH Ltd reserves the right to take a deposit amount from the hirers debit/credit card which is proportionate to the severity of the damage. The deposit amounts are as listed below. If the hirer requests a full quotation as opposed to the pricing matrix then a non-refundable quotation price and loss of earnings charge (£25.00 & £40.00 per day) will be immediately applied to the deposit amounts below. Prices quoted include VAT.
||Small dents and scratches to bodywork, damaged/missing small trim, minor wheel damage, damaged tyre, chipped windscreen
||Medium dents/scratches to bodywork, damaged/missing large trim, major wheel damage, cracked windscreen
||Large dents and scratches to bodywork, all major accident damage
Once a final cost to repair the damage is sourced, a copy of the invoice will be forwarded to the hirer and a final transaction will be applied to their debit/credit card to reflect the actual cost of the repair.
Charge Cards, Credit Cards and Debit Cards
WHEN YOU SIGN THE RENTAL AGREEMENT, OR WHEN YOU DO NOT SIGN A RENTAL AGREEMENT, WHEN RENTAL COMMENCES YOU ARE GIVING US AND THE CARD PROVIDER PERMISSION TO CHARGE YOUR CARD WITH MONEY PAYABLE BY YOU UNDER THESE TERMS TOGETHER WITH PROVISION FOR ANY DEPOSIT, OR DAMAGE CHARGE, DEEMED NECESSARY.
- If you do not follow these terms and the vehicle or any of its parts and accessories is lost or damaged, you will be responsible. You will also be responsible for any financial loss we suffer as a result and of any relevant claims made by other people, made in connection of the period of hire.
- You (or any other authorised driver) shall not be acting as agent, servant or employee for us in any circumstances. We will be entitled to treat anyone acting or claiming to act on your Instructions as your agent. The rental is personal to you and you cannot transfer your part of any agreement.
- If two or more persons are named on the Rental Agreement each of them will be jointly and severally liable in full for all our charges and for following their terms.
- The entire terms between us for the rental of the vehicle are contained in the Rental Agreement and in these terms. All rentals which include delivery or collection of the vehicle are also subject to terms and conditions applicable to deliveries and collections.
- If the vehicle is stolen, lost, destroyed or damaged during your rental, your responsibilities to us remain unchanged and continue to apply.
- If you and we agree, or a court of law decides, that one of these terms is illegal, not valid, or cannot be enforced, the term in question will be changed. In meantime the rest of these terms will still apply. If we cannot change the term in question to make it valid and enforceable the rest of the terms will continue without it. In either case, the change will apply on the date we agree or the Court decision is made.
Responsibility for the vehicle and its return
- You and any driver we approve must always drive the vehicle carefully and considerately. You must not sell or lend it or allow anyone else to have or obtain any possession or rights over it. Upon return the vehicle together with all its accessories and parts must be in good repair and condition (apart from reasonable wear and tear). All damage due to your negligence will be chargeable to you notwithstanding any Excess amount procured.
- Where you ask us and we agree to deliver the vehicle or to collect the vehicle, you may have to pay additional charges.
- You will be responsible for the vehicle, its accessories and its parts and fully liable under these terms of rental from the moment we give you the keys, or we leave them or the vehicle at the place and time which we have arranged with you in advance. You continue to be responsible and fully liable under these terms of rental until the vehicle is inspected by our authorised representative.
- If you return the vehicle at any time outside our normal hours of business or at any other time when our representative is not available to inspect it you will be responsible for it until we do inspect it.
- You are responsible for ensuring that any damage to the vehicle found on delivery is reported to CHH. All vehicles are inspected before rental and again when they return from rental. You will be held responsible for any damage found on the vehicle following its return from rental.
- If you do not return the vehicle to the agreed rental station within 60 minutes of the agreed time, or if it is not at the agreed collection point at the agreed time, you will be charged an extra day's rental for each day or part of a day that the vehicle is overdue, in addition to a £20 late surcharge.
- You must return the vehicle immediately if we ask you to, although we hope this will not be necessary. In the event that the vehicle is not delivered to us upon request you hereby authorise us to enter onto your premises and to do any and all other things necessary to repossess the vehicle. Any costs associated with such repossession shall be for your account. We may repossess any vehicle without notice or liability where we deem that such repossession is necessary for our own protection.
Road Traffic Acts and others laws
While you are renting the vehicle you will be liable, as if you were the owner, for any offence committed under the Road Traffic Acts and any other relevant loss in respect of the Vehicle and its use during the rental period which results in the imposition of fixed penalties or excess charges. You hereby authorise us to pass through to you any notice or proceedings received by us relating to a period during which the vehicle was rented to you. You hereby agree to respond to and settle any notice or proceedings so received and to indemnify us against any liabilities or expenses incurred.
Our Insurance Covers
Full repairs to the vehicle in the event of a road traffic accident, excluding the excess. Unlimited third party liability (including passengers in hired vehicle), excluding the excess. Cover would default if the necessary security precautions were not implemented, i.e if keys were left in vehicle etc. Theft of the vehicle, excluding excess. Standard excess is £900 for all vehicles. The excess is increased by £400 for under 25’s.
Our Insurance does not cover
- Theft of property within the vehicle.
- Driver of hired vehicle’s personal injury or loss of life, their own insurance would have to cover this.
- Lost or damaged keys
- Using wrong fuel
- Vehicle Interior
- Vehicle undercarriage
- Wheels and tyres
Excluded Occupations - Cannot rent
- Entertainers and Musicians
- Professional Sportsperson
- Persons connected with gambling, including on- course Bookmakers
- Persons connected with racing
- Off course Bookmakers
- General dealers, Market traders, Street traders
- Scrap metal merchants
If you’re unsure if your occupation comes under any of the above categories, please contact our bookings team for clarification.
Driving License, Age and Accident History
- All UK residents must produce a full valid British or International driving licence (If you have a UK licence you must also produce a DVLA check code).
- All International hirers must provide a readable unexpired licence from their country of origin. If the licence is non-EU, and not in English, an international driving permit must also be provided. Non-UK hirers must also bring a passport for identification.
- It is the hirer's responsibility to ensure that he / she has the appropriate licence.
- Drivers aged 21-24 must have held a full licence for at least 2 years, and will be subject to a young driver surcharge of £20 + VAT per day
- Drivers aged 25-75 must have held a full licence for at least 1 year. All hirers must produce a valid licence at time of rental. Hirer is responsible to ensure Photo Card licence is valid (section 4b on photo card).
- 21-22 years olds must be free from any at fault accidents and have no driving convictions, 23-24 year olds are permitted one minor (total costs less than £2000) at fault accident in the last 3 years and one minor driving conviction (3 points). We are unable to offer CDW to drivers under 25. The excess increases by £400 for any driver under 25. Please refer.
- Drivers over 25 are permitted one at fault accident and up to 8 penalty points provided there has been no period of disqualification, and none off the endorsements are restricted (see “convictions” section)
- All drivers with more than one at fault accident or any period of disqualification in the last 5 years should call with details of this and we can refer this to our insurers for possible acceptance.
- There is a standard upper age restriction of 75 for private (5 seat) cars and commercial vehicles up to 3.5T GVW. The upper age restriction is 69 for vehicles with more than 5 seats, and commercial vehicles over 3.5T GVW. Anyone over these ages must refer to us for authorisation before hiring.
- UK licence holders aged 76 to 79 can hire private cars if they drive regularly, and meet all other requirements.
- Endorsement commencing with UT is not acceptable for insurance.
- Any licence with two or more periods of disqualification, is not acceptable for insurance.
- Endorsements AC10/AC20/ALLBA/ALLDD/ALLDR/CD40/CD50/CD60/MS90, is acceptable only after 5 years from date of conviction.
- Any conviction resulting in a disqualification of more than six months, is acceptable only after 5 years from date of conviction.
- Endorsements CD10/IN10/LC20, is acceptable only after 5 years from date of conviction.
- Any conviction resulting in a period of disqualification of six months or less, is acceptable only after 3 years from date of conviction.
- Any number of endorsements with no period of disqualification totalling up to 8 points in the last three years, is acceptable.
- Any number of endorsements with no period of disqualification totalling 9 or more points in the last three years must be referred to our bookings team prior to placing the booking.
If in doubt then please email or call our bookings team, and we can confirm eligibility with you.
Restrictions on Using the Vehicle.
- For carrying fare paying passengers.
- For hire or for other reward.
- For driving tuition.
- For racing, pace making, speed trials or any other sporting competitions.
- For any illegal purpose.
- For the carrying, keeping or concealing of any goods, materials or substances chargeable with a tax or duty which has not been paid or the payment of which is thereby sought to be avoided or in connection with the import or export of goods, materials or substances contrary to any prohibition or restriction.
- While in an unroadworthy condition or while failing to comply with any statutory provision.
- To tow or push any other vehicle or trailer (unless we agree to this in writing first) or in any way which contravenes the Highway Code, road traffic laws or any other laws.
- When it is overloaded with luggage, goods or passengers.
- For carrying corrosive, radioactive, inflammable, explosive or other harmful substances.
- For carrying anything which, because of its smell or condition, will harm the vehicle or mean we lose time or money before we can again rent out the vehicle.
- If you do not follow these terms you will have to pay us for any charges, damages, restoration costs and expenses we have to pay and any loss you cause. You may also lose the benefits of any liability waivers you have chosen.
Collision Damage Waiver
The hirer is responsible for the damage repair amount up to the value of the compulsory excess, in respect of each and every incident involving the hired vehicle.
The Hirer is responsible for loss of earnings the company may charge in the event of damage caused by the hirer.
CDW is not available to drivers aged 21-25. CDW is only available for 4/5 seat private cars (not 4x4, vans, or MPV’s/minibuses).
You are advised that the following waivers may be invalidated if you fail to take reasonable measures for the safety or security of the vehicle, its parts or accessories, or fail to comply with all the restrictions on the use of the vehicle or otherwise abuse or misuse it.
In an event which involves the police, we reserve the right to charge and hold the full basic excess amount, notwithstanding any excess waiver procured, until the full police report is released.
The standard insurance excess is £900. When booking, or on arrival, you can reduce the standard excess by selecting one of the 3 options listed below. Please Note Exceptions 1 to 8.
Reduction of damage liability from £900 to £0 - £12.00* per day
This does not cover the cost of damage to the windscreen, glass or tyres.
Reduction of damage liability from £900 to £200 - £8.00* per day
This does not cover the cost of damage to the windscreen, glass or tyres.
Removes liability for Windscreen, Glass & Tyres - £10.00* per day
This option can be selected on its own, or with Options 1 or 2. If selected on its own, the standard excess of £900 remains in place for all other insured areas of the vehicle.
*Prices exclude VAT.
Collision Damage Waiver Exceptions
- CDW does not give protection against any damage caused by hitting an overhead object such as a bridge, car park barrier, or any perceived neglect.
- CDW does not cover or give protection against third party costs.
- CDW does not cover the full cost of damage to wheels, wheel trims, alloys, tyres, glass (except glass and tyres when option 3 is selected) and any lost or damaged keys.
- CDW does not cover any damage incurred on unclassified roads, or any damage incurred during off road use.
- CDW does not cover costs / damage incurred by the use of incorrect fuel.
- CDW does not cover failure to adequately look after the vehicle such as scratching suitcases on the rear bumper, leaving items on car bodywork resulting in scratches, or not ensuring correct levels of oil, water and tyre pressures
- CDW provides cover for one incident, and the standard excess amount is then charged for any subsequent incidents.
- CDW does not cover the loss or theft of or damage to objects or property, (including luggage or goods) that are deposited or kept or transported in or on the Vehicle by you or by any Passenger.
What to do if the vehicle is stolen or damaged or you have an accident
- If the vehicle or any of its parts or accessories is stolen or damaged, by a criminal act or if it is involved in an accident in which someone is injured, you must immediately contact the local Police to report the incident.
- You must immediately telephone UIS (United Incident Support – 0844 800 1980) to report all incidents and provide police details and any other Information they ask for.
- If following any incident the vehicle is unroadworthy or dangerous it must not be used.
- You must always:
- Take the Police Crime Number and the reporting Officer's name when the police are involved.
- Takes the names, addresses and telephone numbers of all witnesses when relevant.
- Avoid saying or doing anything which admits that the accident was your fault.
- Send to us at the rental station all papers and documents you receive about the accident or damage (including copies of any court papers and any legal documents)
- Fill in an Accident Report Form, sign it and send it to us within 24 hours of the loss or damage otherwise the insurers may refuse to consider the claim.
- Co-operate fully with us, the insurers and anyone else we or the insurers appoint.
- Allow us or them to take legal action and or to enforce legal rights in your name.
- Do anything else which we or the insurers think is reasonably necessary to help us or them enforce our or their rights for loss or damage to the vehicle, its parts or accessories while you were renting it.
- If you receive any money in respect of loss or damage to the vehicle and/or its spares and accessories you must pay this to us and until you do, hold it as trustee for us.
Failure to comply with your obligations under these terms and conditions will render you liable for all claims, costs and losses. Please note, in the event of an accident or damage to a vehicle, CHH Ltd are not obligated to provide a replacement vehicle to the hirer.
WE SHALL BE UNDER NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER WHETHER IN CONTRACT OR OTHERWISE FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL OR BUSINESS LOSS ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT.
Breakdown and Accident Recovery
CHH offer a 24/7 breakdown recovery service, which is managed by United Incident Support - 0844 800 1980.
When you call to request breakdown recovery, you will be given the choice of two recovery options:
- "Silver" recovery: The vehicle will be recovered to our designated repairer where repairs will be completed, or where necessary, a replacement vehicle will be provided. The cost for this service is £40.00, plus £1.00 per mile (excluding Vat)
- "Gold" recovery (Subject to availability): A replacement vehicle will be delivered directly to your chosen location, and the broken down vehicle will be recovered. The cost for this service is £69.00 plus £1.50 per mile (excluding Vat).
For mechanical breakdowns that are not the hirers fault, recovery is free of charge.